Friday, May 20, 2011

It All Started With This...

I love dresses. As a little girl I hated them. I would have worn shorts or levis to church every week. I was so glad I was not born "in the old days" because they worn dresses everyday. But now, now I love them. So feminine, so cute, so comfortable, did I mention cute? A few weeks ago I was looking for a new dress. I found the one pictured above. LOVE IT! I was in love. The color, the fit, well what's not to love about it. But alas, it was sold out. I set out on a mission to discover what type of dress this is and if I could find a pattern for it. I have since discovered it is called a shirtwasit dress. These were the common house wife dress from the 40's to the 60's. Finding a pattern was quite the process, but I finally found one I love. Thank you ESTY.
I tried to size up my pattern with a method called pattern grading,
But my experiment dress top was extremly too big. :(
Over the past few days I have been searching and reading and searching and reading and finally I have found a new love. I want to make my own patterns. I have played with the idea of it for the last year or two and finally I think I am ready to make the jump. Wish me luck...I think I'm gonna need it!


2 comments:

Peter and Emily said...

Good luck! If you have any questions I can give you my sis's number. She has taken a few of those courses at school. Have fun!

Lael said...

You will do great. Shirt waist dresses are what I grew up with--and they are still my favorite style of dresses. I'll look forward to seeing what you design. I wish they sold more of this type of dresses in the stores since I'm no good at sewing.